Kidney transplants (children)

Generally, Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) covers these transplant services:

• Inpatient services in an approved hospital
• Kidney registry fee
• Laboratory and other tests needed to evaluate your child’s medical condition and the condition of potential kidney donors
• The costs of finding the proper kidney for your child’s transplant surgery
• The full cost of care for your child’s kidney donor
• Blood (if a transfusion is needed)
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) helps pay for these transplant services:
• Doctors’ services for kidney transplant surgery
• Doctors’ services for the kidney donor during his or her hospital stay
• Immunosuppressive drugs (generally for a limited time after your child leaves the hospital following a transplant)
• Blood (if a transfusion is needed)

If your child is eligible for Medicare only because of permanent kidney failure, Medicare coverage will end:

• 12 months after the last month of dialysis treatments
• 36 months after the month of a kidney transplant
Medicare coverage can be extended if your child meets certain conditions.

Who’s eligible?

Children with Medicare.

Your costs in Original Medicare

• Inpatient hospital services – Part A pays for these services; you pay a deductible.
• Doctor’s services – Part B generally pays 80% of the Medicare-approved amount, after you pay the Part B yearly deductible. You pay the remaining 20% coinsurance. This is in addition to the Part B monthly premium. Learn more about Part B premiums and deductibles.
• Dialysis services – the amount you pay may vary based on your child’s age and the type of dialysis they need.
If your child has other insurance, your costs may be different.

In most cases, Medicare doesn’t pay for transportation to dialysis facilities.