Need To Sign Up

Some people have to sign up for Part A and/or Part B

If you’re close to 65, but not getting Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits and you want Part A and Part B, you’ll need to sign up. Contact Social Security 3 months before you turn 65. You can also apply for Part A and Part B at If you worked for a railroad, contact the RRB.

If you have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), you’ll need to sign up. Contact Social Security to find out when and how to sign up for Part A and Part B. For more information, visit to view the booklet “Medicare Coverage of Kidney Dialysis and Kidney Transplant Services.” You can also call 1-800-MEDICARE (1‑800‑633‑4227) to find out if a copy can be mailed to you. TTY users should call 1‑877‑486‑2048.

If you live in Puerto Rico and get benefits from Social Security or the RRB, you’ll automatically get Part A the first day of the month you turn 65 or after you get disability benefits for 24 months. However, if you want Part B, you’ll Need To Sign Up for it. If you don’t sign up for Part B when you’re first eligible, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty for as long as you have Part B. See page 28. Contact your local Social Security office or RRB for more information.

Note: To get Part A and/or Part B, you must be a U.S. citizen or lawfully present in the U.S.

Where can I get more information?
Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for more information about your Medicare eligibility and to sign up for Part A and/or Part B. If you worked for a railroad or get RRB benefits, call the RRB at 1‑877‑772‑5772. TTY users should call 1‑312‑751‑4701. Visit for general information about enrolling. You can also get personalized health insurance counseling at no cost to you from your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).