Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers screenings to check for diabetes. Based on the results of these tests, you may be eligible for 2 Diabetes screenings each year.
Medicare covers these tests if you have any of these risk factors:
• High blood pressure (hypertension)
• History of abnormal cholesterol and triglyceride levels (dyslipidemia)
• History of high blood sugar (glucose)
Medicare also covers these tests if 2 or more of these apply to you:
• Age 65 or older
• Family history of diabetes (parents, brothers, sisters)
• History of gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy), or delivery of a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay nothing for these tests if your doctor accepts assignment, but you generally have to pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the doctor’s visit. The Part B deductible doesn’t apply.